If you’re in the market for a new boat, then you’ve probably come across the term “swim platform.” What is it? What does it do? And why is it important? In this blog post, we will answer all of those questions and more! We’ll talk about what swim platforms are used for, how to choose the best one for your needs, and some of the benefits they provide. So if you’re ready to learn more about swim platforms, keep reading!
What Are Swim Platforms And What Do They Do
Swim platforms are raised, flat areas on the back of a boat that provides a place to stand, sit, or lounge. They also make it easier to get in and out of the water. Most swim platforms are made from fiberglass or other waterproof materials.
Most even have built-in stairs or ladders to make getting in and out of the water even easier.
Swim platforms are important because they provide a safe place to enter and exit the water. They also give you a place to relax and enjoy the sun while staying cool in the water. Additionally, swim platforms can be used for other activities like fishing, diving, and more.
The Different Types of Swim Platforms
Now let’s talk about the different types of swim platforms. There are two main types:
- Fixed: Fixed swim platforms are permanently attached to the back of the boat. They cannot be removed and are typically made from fiberglass or other waterproof materials.
- Foldable: Foldable swim platforms can be folded up or down, depending on your needs. They’re usually made from aluminum or other lightweight materials.
Swim platforms can also come in different materials, sizes, and shapes.
Choosing A Swim Platform
So, how do you choose the best one for your needs?
When choosing a swim platform or looking at new boats, there are a few things to keep in mind.
First, consider the size of your boat. You’ll want to make sure that the one you choose is the right size for your boat.
Second, think about what you’ll be using the swim platform for. If you plan on using it for swimming and sunbathing, then you’ll want to make sure it has enough space for both.
Third, consider the material of the swim platform. If you live in a saltwater area, then you’ll want to choose a swim platform made from fiberglass.
Swim Platform Installation
Assuming your boat doesn’t already have a swim platform on board, here are a few things you’ll want to consider.
First, you’ll need to decide where you want to position the swim platform on your boat.
Second, you’ll need to drill holes into the hull of your boat (if required).
Third, you’ll need to attach the platform to your boat using screws, bolts, or other fasteners. make sure that the hardware you use is marine-grade and will not rust.
Finally, you’ll need to seal the swim platform to your boat using silicone or another waterproof sealant.
While it is not impossible to install your own swim platform in many cases, the process can be a bit tedious and to make sure it gets done properly it may be best to consult with a professional boat mechanic.
Accessories That Pair Well
There are a few accessories that work well with swim platforms, such as:
- Boat ladders: Boat ladders make it easier to get in and out of the water from your swim platform.
- Dive flags: Dive flags are required by law in some areas and help to alert other boaters of your presence.
- Wake Tower: If you have a swim platform, this works great for prepping a wakeboard or waterski.
- Audio System: You’ll likely want to get plenty of use out of your swim platform. Music can make this even more fun and pair perfectly on a boat equipped with a swim platform.
Many other accessories work well with swim platforms, but these are just a few.
Now that you know more about swim platforms, you can decide if one is right for your boat. If you do decide to add a one, be sure to take the time to install it properly. If you are looking for what features you should consider in a new boat, a swim platform makes the list!